It is disappointing that city council currently recommends 70 percent of the $25 million HUD CDBG disaster relief grant be designated for infrastructure, planning and administration – leaving only 30 percent to address unmet housing needs of flood damaged homes. This disaster grant is most likely the final chance to help our citizens repair and recover from two historic floods last year.
It seems that there are three main reactions to the beautiful sacred waters of the San Marcos River. Some people love the river and want to preserve it for future generations. Some people just want to use the river for their own pleasure now. And some people want to exploit our natural resource for their own economic gain.
Often people in the last two categories will pretend to be in the first.
If we really want to “Save OUR River,” then we need to stop individuals from profiting financially from it.
If you’ve had the chance to view the sun setting into a deep gorge at Big Bend National Park, or stargaze from the Permian Era fossil reef in West Texas’ Guadalupe Mountains, you understand the importance of preserving Texas’ wild spaces.
Michael Shannon - Syndicated Columnist
It’s not every day you can lean on the dining room table that once belonged to the Comanche’s last war chief, Quanah Parker, and wonder if your feet are going to crash through the floorboards.
The table that once hosted Teddy Roosevelt and Geronimo is now surrounded by a house that’s collapsing due to lack of funds and lack of will power.
P.O. Box 1109
San Marcos, Tx 78666