Projects involving historic properties get county nod

Commissioners Court

Two of the county’s historic properties benefited from this week’s Hays County Commissioners Court meeting.

The commissioners voted to approve a preservation architect to continue working on the restoration of the old Hays County Jail located behind The Calaboose. Hutson-Gallagher has been selected as the architectural firm.

County commissioners also voted to allow the sale of souvenirs at the Kyle Depot. Proceeds from the sales will go toward maintenance of the depot. Commissioners also approved the receipt of a grant from the Burdine Johnson Foundation to cover expenses related to the restoration of six vintage light poles around the depot.

In other business, the commissioners approved the repair of monitoring equipment at two low water crossings.

The low water crossing monitoring equipment on Lime Kiln Road was damaged in a rollover vehicle accident. The master pole base was broken, which caused the pole to fall over and damage the electronics box and a pressure transducer. Other parts of the equipment, including the antennas and solar panel, appear undamaged. An estimate from Water and Earth Technologies put repair costs at just over $5,300.

The Uhland Road crossing equipment was inadvertently damaged by heavy equipment when the property owner was removing brush and trees from around the river.

Water and Earth Technologies estimates that repairing the equipment will cost a little over $2,800. Hays County will seek reimbursement from at-fault parties, but repairs must be conducted quickly to get the equipment up and running for safety reasons.

San Marcos Daily Record

(512) 392-2458
P.O. Box 1109, San Marcos, TX 78666