County approves early voting locations
Early voting locations, dates and times for the March 3 primaries were set on Tuesday.
The Hays County Commissioners Court voted to unanimously adopt an early voting schedule for the upcoming primaries.
“(The March primary election locations) are agreed upon mutually by the Democratic and Republican party and we are fortunate in our county that our parties actually work together pretty well in trying to select those locations and recommending them,” Precinct 4 commissioner Walt Smith said. “So, I commend the democratic chair and the republican chair from our county for bringing us a list of locations that are acceptable to both of them.”
The commissioners approved the following dates and times for early voting throughout Hays County. Tuesday, Feb. 18 - Friday, Feb. 21 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday, Feb. 22 from 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.; Sunday, Feb. 23 from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.; and Monday, Feb. 24 - Friday, Feb. 28 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
The county originally planned to begin early voting on Monday, Feb. 16. The court, however, chose to begin on Tuesday, Feb. 18 because the Monday date falls on President’s Day.
The county planned to use Sinai Pentecostal Church, 208 Laredo St., in San Marcos and Chapa Middle School, 3311 Dacy Lane, in Kyle but the court removed them following a recommendation from county Elections Administrator Jennifer Anderson. A location at 2171 Yarrington Rd. in Kyle was added.
“(The Yarrington location) is between the boundary of San Marcos and Kyle so it may be a good option,” Precinct 1 commissioner Debbie Ingalsbe said. “But I know the commission that was formed is looking at voting locations sites so I’m hoping that they can come up with some other locations … We’ll continue to look for locations on the east side of (Interstate) 35.”
Added Anderson, “I do think that the Yarrington location, while it may not be the busiest place right now, I think there’s a lot of growth going on out in that area so I think eventually down the road it would be a good location to have.”
The court approved the following early-voting locations:
- San Marcos: Hays County Government Center, 712 South Stagecoach Trail; Hays County Health Department/Live Oak Health, 401 Broadway St. #A; and Texas State University - LBJ Student Center, 301 Student Center Dr.
- Kyle: Austin Community College Campus Hays, 1200 Kohlers Crossing; Hays CISD Administration Office, 21003 Interstate 35, Kyle City Hall, 100 West Center St. and Hays County Transportation Department, 2171 Yarrington Rd.
- Buda: Buda City Hall, 405 East Loop St. and McCormick Middle School, 5700 Dacy Lane. Wimberley:
- Wimberley Community Center, 14068 Ranch Road 12 and Wimberley ISD Administration Building, 951 Farm-to-market 2325,
- Dripping Springs: Hays County Precinct 4 Office, 195 Roger Hanks Parkway.
- Austin: Ledgestone Senior Living, 13152 Four Star Blvd.