Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Rachel Sonnier

Contact Rachel Sonnier at

Article Image Alt Text

Daughters of Ruben Ruiz Sr., Dr. Rosina Ruiz Valle and Rhea Kimbell, stand in front of the Rosina Records display at Centro Cultural Hispano de San Marcos. Their father named the record label and publishing company after both of his daughters respectively. Daily Record photo by Rachel Willis

Rosina Records reborn

In the 1960s, 70s and early 80s, Rosina Records was an independently-owned record label based in San Marcos. Its catalog included Chicano Soul and early recordings of Tejano music legends.

Article Image Alt Text

An El Camino Real Mobile Bicycle Project Pop-up at Sewell Park. Photo courtesy of El Camino Real Mobile Bicycle Project

Bike Maintenance 101

The El Camino Real Mobile Bicycle Project is hosting a free Bike Maintenance 101 Workshop on Sunday, Sept. 22 from 1:30- 2:30 p.m. at the San Marcos Public Library.

Article Image Alt Text

The Central Texas Farmers Co-op is currently accepting memberships for their fall meat and produce CSAs. Above, a selection of the vegetables offered thought the fall produce CSA. Photos courtesy of Central Texas Farmers Co-op

Sustainably grown & locally-owned

Fresh, local and sustainably-grown produce and meat is a little easier to find in San Marcos these days with the Central Texas Farmers Co-op, a cooperative of small, sustainable farmers in Hays, Ca

Article Image Alt Text

Sisters Mallory, Eleanor and Bailey Clark inch closer to the banks of the San Marcos River to see the mermaids during the 2017 Aqua Faire. Daily Record file photo by Rachel Willis

Downtown Mermaid Parade & the Aqua Faire

The Mermaid Society SMTX will be putting their tails to the pavement on Saturday, Sept. 21 for the 4th Annual Downtown Mermaid Promenade. Plans are already being made and floats

Article Image Alt Text

The San Marcos-Blanco Cemetery was established in 1893 by five Africa- American men — Wyatt Newman, James Landon, Henry Richardson, Lucky McQueen and Miles Bowen. The 10.62 acres were purchased for $200 cash and a deed signed in June of 1893. The cemetery is located at 2300 Post Rd. Daily Record photos by Lance Winter

'Naming Names:' San Marcos' segregated cemetery

During the late 1800s through the mid-1900s, segregated cemeteries sprang up across the United States as emblems of institutional racism.

Article Image Alt Text

Tom and Paula Goynes opened their first canoe rental, Goynes Canoe Livery, in San Marcos in 1972. They have been active on the San Marcos River ever since. Daily Record file photos

San Marcos River Royalty

Every year the Mermaid Society SMTX chooses two people to honor as the Mermaid Queen and the King of SPLASH — standing for Stewardship, Preservation, Local, Arts, Sustainability and Heritage.


San Marcos Record

(512) 392-2458
P.O. Box 1109, San Marcos, TX 78666